Pitch. Validate. Connect.
Pitch’Day 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 participants have gone on to accelerate their growth at Launch’Pad and Venture’Challenge, as well as raise angel investments and earn local and international recognition!
Pitch’Day is a must attend event for entrepreneurs looking to kick-start their ventures, and investors and others looking to learn about up-and-coming entrepreneurs and innovators in Manitoba.
Enjoy the competition!
- Witness the future stars of Manitoba’s startup scene compete for cash, prizes and glory in Manitoba’s most exciting quick-pitch competition.
- Join the over 200 individuals that will be in attendance.
- Connect with Manitoba entrepreneurship and innovation communities.
- Enjoy great food and a cash bar!
|Best Student Pitch:||$500|
|Best Research Pitch:||$500|
|Best Technology Pitch:||$500|
|Best New Product Pitch:||$500|
|Best Social Innovation Pitch:||TBD|
ALL THE ABOVE WINNERS RECEIVE: Complimentary entry into Innovate Manitoba’s Launch’Pad Startup Skills Workshop ($225 value).
- Entrepreneurs looking to kick-start their ventures
- Investors seeking Manitoba’s most promising startups
- Anyone interested in entrepreneurship, innovation, or new business and investment opportunities!
Anyone with a business idea can apply to compete, subject to the eligibility requirements set out below. The deadline for applications is midnight, October 31, 2016. A Preliminary Round will be held on Thursday, November 3, 2016, from which the top 15 ideas/pitches will be selected by a panel of judges to participate in Pitch’Day on November 10, 2016.
Anyone interested in entrepreneurship, innovation, new business startups or investment opportunities can attend to watch the pitches on November 10, 2016 and vote on the “People’s Choice Award” for best pitch. Simply register to attend below.
Apply to compete at Pitch'Day.
Nov 10, 2016
4:00 pm - 9:00 pm
375 York Ave
Application Deadline: Midnight, Monday, October 31, 2016
Preliminary Round Pitches: 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Thursday, November 3, 2016 (details below)
CEO & Co-founder, Manitoba Harvest Hemp Foods
Since 1998, Mike has run all aspects of Manitoba Harvest, which he recently sold (a majority of the company) for $132.5 million but remains as CEO. Previously, he spent five years in extensive studies of diet and nutrition as he made the life changing decision to lose over 100lbs and go from 300lbs to his current 185lbs. This remarkable accomplishment has given him an excellent knowledge of human anatomy, diet and nutrition and a motivation which allows him to speak to professional groups on improving health and well-being.
Mike has won numerous business awards including Young Entrepreneur of the Year (2004), Socially Responsible Business Award (2006), Company of the Year (2010), CHFA Organic Achievement Award (2010), Spirit of Winnipeg (2014) and CME Emerging Business Award (2014). As well, he has guided Manitoba Harvest to be on the Profit 100 list of fastest growing companies in Canada four of the past five years. Mike has been on television, radio and quoted in newspapers and magazines regarding hemp foods, nutrition and sustainable business.
Mike currently is a Director & Treasurer of the Canadian Organic Trade Association, as well as Director & Treasurer of the Young Presidents Organization (YPO) Manitoba. Mike has served as a Director of the Manitoba Food Processors Association and Director and President of the Canadian Hemp Trade Association. Mike lives in Winnipeg, Manitoba with his beautiful wife Autumn and two healthy and happy children Roan and Rain Fata.
President & CEO, Payworks
Barb Gamey is cofounder, President and CEO of Payworks, a national workforce management service provider, offering cloud-based payroll, HR, and time management solutions to businesses of all sizes across Canada. Payworks was named one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2012, 2013, and 2014.
Barb has been honoured with awards for her entrepreneurial work, most recently when she was named by Women of Influence Inc. as the winner of the Momentum Award at the 2012 RBC Canadian Women Entrepreneur Awards (CWEA). Barb was also named to the Profit W100 in 2009.
Barb is dedicated to community involvement. Among other commitments, she is the President of Southwood Golf & Country Club and the Chair of the Prairie Theatre Exchange Foundation, actively fundraises for the Assiniboine Park Conservancy and Special Olympics Manitoba, participates extensively with the United Way of Winnipeg, and is the former Chair of the Women’s Enterprise Centre.
Greg is back by popular demand as Pitch’Day MC for the third consecutive year. As an Entrepreneur since his early teens, at his core, Greg embodies an entrepreneurial spirit.
He currently devotes much of his time to property development and management. A repatriated Manitoban three times over, Greg’s work on CJOB Radio is dedicated to highlighting those who make a difference not only for themselves, but other Manitobans. As a one time victim of the “dragons den” taken to task by the dragons of industry, he promises to respectfully MC Pitch’Day 2016.
|Round One Pitches:||4:30 pm|
|Refreshment Break:||6:00 pm|
|Round Two Pitches:||6:30 pm|
|Judges Deliberate & Networking Break:||7:30 pm|
|Awards Presentation:||8:00 pm|
“If we didn’t have these opportunities for both idea and business validation, as well as the cash support, it would be much more difficult starting up and understanding where your idea fits within the market.”
~ Matt Doak, Founder of BecomeTheGamer and 2nd place winner at Pitch’Day 2014 and 3rd place winner at Venture’Challenge 2015
“This event is definitely going to help us get to market faster. Pitch’Day was pivotal for FarmTrack Technologies.”
~ Chris Karasewich, Co-founder of FarmTrack Technologies and 1st place winner at Pitch’Day 2014.
|Monday, October 31, 2016:||Application deadline|
|Tuesday, November 1, 2016:||Notification of acceptance into the Preliminary Round, taking place from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm in Room P107 at Red River College (Exchange District Campus, The Roblin Centre, 160 Princess St.)|
Thursday, November 3, 2016:
|Preliminary Round, taking place from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm in Room P107 at Red River College (Exchange District Campus, The Roblin Centre, 160 Princess St.)|
|Saturday, November 5, 2016:||Pitch’Day Finalists are announced and notified.|
|Thursday, November 10, 2016:||Pitch’Day finals take place.|
- The competition is open to individuals with startup business ideas and early-stage businesses, and includes new business ideas generated by existing businesses.
- You must have less than 6 months of revenue OR less than $25,000 in revenue related to the business idea being pitched.
- You must have been incorporated for less than 2 years.
- You must own or be able to commercialize the business idea being pitched.
- The competition is not open to franchised businesses, traditional retail or services businesses, real estate related businesses, or home-based businesses.
- You must complete and submit the online application form and pay the registration fee prior to the registration deadline of midnight on Monday, October 31, 2016.
- All entries are subject to filing a completed application form and payment of the entry fee prior to the application deadline.
- All qualifying applicants will be required to pitch in the Pitch’Day Preliminary Round on Thursday November 3, 2016 in Room P107 at Red River College (Exchange District Campus, The Roblin Centre, 160 Princess St.) from 4:00 pm – 9:00 pm.
- The top 15 competitors chosen from the Preliminary Round will then proceed to the Finals at Pitch’Day on November 10, 2016 at the RBC Convention Centre.
Additional Information for Entrants
- Applicants with scalable business models will generally be selected to compete at Pitch’Day over business ideas that cannot be scaled. Read 10 Tips for Bulding the most Scalable Startup.
- Entrants will be notified of acceptance into the Preliminary Round (taking place on Nov. 3 in Room P107 at Red River College (Exchange District Campus, The Roblin Centre, 160 Princess St.) on Tuesday, November 1, 2016.
- Preliminary Round participants will be notified whether they have been selected to compete at the Finals at Pitch’Day by Saturday November 5, 2016.
- The pitch schedule will be posted on the website on or by Wednesday, November 9, 2016.
- Competitors have a maximum of 2 minutes to pitch their idea and will receive up to 5 minutes of Q&A from the panel of judges. This applies to both the Preliminary Round and the Pitch’Day Finals.
- All applications not accepted will be provided a full refund.
- Each pitch is judged based on the commercial potential of the idea and presentation quality.
- Judges, consisting of entrepreneurs, investors and professional service providers experienced in the entrepreneurial process, will help you better understand your idea’s business potential.
Become a Sponsor!
Pitch'Day is one of the most exciting and well-attended business events of the year. Support the next generation of investors, researchers, and grassroots entrepreneurs as they look to take a major step towards making their business dreams come true.Contact Us